Monday, February 24, 2014

Tierra Alta - Just A Stone's Thoreau From Vallarta

Robert:

Tierra Alta; that means high ground. And, it's the apropos name of a new development in the mountains south of Vallarta, in the cool pine and deciduous forest, at about 2,000 ft. elevation, just outside the village of El Tuito. I almost bought a house in El Tuito back in 1995. But that's another story.

The development is listed with a very reputable Vallarta agency, and when I received the invitation last week to go up and have a look around, I decided to jump out of my daily work rut, and take them up on it.

I thought this might be an interesting alternative concept to offer to my clients; but I also wanted to see it out of pure nostalgia; the idea of living in the forested mountains an hour from town brought on a fit of self indulgence. Semi-remote mountain living is my kind of ambiente. For years before moving here, I lived in a post and beam Vermont-style colonial at 9100 feet in the Rockies west of Boulder, Colorado, on 3 1/2 heavily forested acres. So this concept appealed to my inner-and-still -kicking  pseudo-intellectual hermit.

I drifted into instant reveries. There would be the deep woods; the bird song in the mornings; the dramatic mountain views! But no Sorel boots! No driveway to plough! No snow to shovel! No frozen septic tank to chip free of ice at 15 below. (This actually happened in my Colorado life.) So Saturday afternoon I boarded the chartered van at Lazaro Cardenas Park, in the Olas Altas part of old Vallarta, and away we went. An hour later, we arrived (Okay, you're right. It would be a long stone's throw. But worth it.)


There are potentially 28 home sites in Tierra Alta; the smallest lot is 1600 sq meters, which is .4 acres. Most lots are a half acre or larger. There are various cabaña floorplans and sizes to choose from. The existing model is the version called The Kimball. All the cabaña options have the warm, rustic, log-home look and feel, although the exterior wood is a specially treated siding which mimics logs.








 The interiors are all finished in warm, natural wood, which, like the exteriors, have been treated to resist fire and insects.

Tomorrow I'll ad some more details to give you an idea of the price ranges for a lot and finished model. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the affordability I think.





1 comment: