Friday, June 27, 2014

Multi-screen Cinemas, But Just One Show In Town

Robert


The mania that grips Mexico during the World Cup is pervasive. This year, the big multi-screen cinema chains have started showing the partidos (games) live on their big screens. It's a hit.

I watched the Germany and Ghana game last week in the Lago Real Cinema near Walmart in
Mezcales. Just 29 pesos for a seat.



I was pleasantly surprised. The image clarity was fabulous, and it did feel much more dramatic to see it on the huge screen. The only complaint (gringos always have a complaint doncha know) is that the volume was turned up past the pain threshold. Mexicans love deafening volume, whether watching TV, or listening to banda music, whatever. And I mean Mexicans of all ages.

But, this was an extreme case, even for Mexico.. It was just bearable during the narration of the game, but during the commercial breaks at halftime, and before and after the game, the beer commercials were even louder and were really at a damaging and truly painful decibel levels. I had to plug my ears with my fingertips.

Regardless, I was impressed overall with the excitement of the experience, so went back last Sunday morning to watch Belgium and Russia.

Matches that don't involve Mexico have been shown, so far, on just one of the 8 screens in this particular cinema.

But last Monday, the Mexico vs Croatia match was shown on three screens. I showed up half an hour before game time, but was disappointed to find that all tickets were long gone.

So, for this Sunday morning's upcoming second round match between Mexico and Holland, I wised up and dropped by the cinema last Tuesday night. They told me they had just put the tickets for Sunday on sale, so I snapped up two excellent seats. Still at only 29 pesos.

I asked them how many screens they would dedicate to Sunday's match. The answer? All screens. So for midday next Sunday, it will be a multi-screen cinema, but with just one show. And I have no doubt it will be sold out.




1 comment:

  1. And if Mexico pulls off a win--wow what a party! Take a pair of earplugs this time :)

    ReplyDelete